High Performance Computing Services
Range of services
As part of our High Performance Computing services the Centre provides the equipment and scientific software for computing and assures support and training in computer-aided scientific research.
The High Performance Computing services are aimed at scientists from local and national academic institutions.
The use of WCSS High Performance Computers is free of charge and is done on the basis of so called computing grants. The grants applications are accepted on a constant basis. The users of High Performance Computing system and its resources are obliged to follow the Rules and Regulations.
The HPC resources of WCSS are also available as a part of national and European research infrastructures with separately fixed rules of access granting.
Choose the infrastructure and the access mode:
- WCSS infrastructure (apply for a grant here)
- National infrastructure PLATON U3 (register here)
- National infrastructure PL-Grid (register here)
- European Infrastructure EGI (join VO, WCSS supports VO: atlas, alice, lhcb, cms, biomed, voce)
- European infrastructure PRACE-RI (apply for a grant here)
The computational resources of the Centre are linked by the WCSS Intranet and integrated with Wrocław Academic Computer Network (WASK), which is a part of Polish national optical network PIONIER.
The Centre provides the following computing equipment:
- Supernova Cluster consisting of several hundred multiprocessing computers with over six thousand computing cores and 12 TB of operating memory. Provides nodes with GPU. (apply for a grant here)
- Campus cluster - included in PLATON U3 project structure, delivering applications on demand service. The cluster consists of 48 nodes, 16 of which are equipped with NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 cards. (register here)
High Performance Computers are used by scentists to perform research in chemistry, physics, mechanics, informatics, acoustics and other numerous disciplines of science.
HPCs can be used for:
- Quantum-chemical calcultions (ab initio) (e.g. Accelrys, CPMD, Dalton, GAMESS, Gaussian, MOLPRO, Siesta)
- Molecular dynamics and docking calculations (e.g. ADF, Gromacs, NAMD2, NWChem, Autodock)
- Materials calculations (e.g. ABINIT, Accelrys, CPMD)
- Visualisation of chemical calculations (e.g. Accelrys, ADF, MOLDEN, VMD)
- Engineering and fluid dynamics calculations (e.g. Abaqus, ANSYS, ANSYS Fluent)
- Mathematical calculations (e.g. Matlab)
- Data analysis (e.g. R)
- Physics calculations (e.g. MPB, CAMFR, Meep)
The HPC Department provides support for researchers concerning preparation and launching of computing, the compilation of software and optimisation of applications.